Ianmonroe.com by Ian Monroe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
A Word About Copyright
As a writer, journalist, graphic artist, web designer, and musician, I’ve thought a great deal about the ideas behind intellectual property law for many years now.
In the course of my studies, I’ve come to the conclusion that there is simply no substitute for a vibrant public domain upon which we, collectively and individually, can base new works, new ideas, and from which we can draw for raw materials to drive new creations.
Furthermore, it is my contention that the fundamental artistic movement of the late 20th- and early 21st-centuries is collage. In visual arts, in music, even in video, collage represents the trajectory of contemporary creation, and, as such, deserves to be legal and recognized as legitimate, regardless of medium.
Consequently, unless otherwise noted, I’m offering all the material publicly posted on my website under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license.
That means —
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
- Attribution — You must attribute the work by indicating that I am the original author (but not in any way that suggests that I endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from me.
- Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Your fair dealing or fair use rights;
- Apart from the remix rights granted under this license, the author’s moral rights;
- Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page on the Creative Commons website.
If you wish to use material you find on my website for commercial purposes, I will be happy to discuss licensing it to you. For commercial licensing inquiries, please get in touch with me using the Contact page.
If you are a copyright holder and you believe that I have infringed upon your copyright and you wish to have the material removed, you must:
- Email me at ian at ianmonroe.com
- Include the full URL of the material which you believe is posted in violation of your copyright.
- Include a complete description of the material which you believe is infringing.
- Include accurate contact information so that I may verify that you are indeed the copyright holder (or authorized representative) and that you initiated the request.
Please note that while I am happy to accommodate legal requests from the original copyright holder, I WILL verify the accuracy of the information you provide. Please note that under Section 512(f) any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MODIFIES AND/OR CONVEYS THE MATERIAL AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SITE (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
THIS SITE IS OFFERED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO USEFULNESS OF THE MATERIAL IS WITH YOU.
Some functionality on this site relies on collecting or accessing information about you as a user. This might include IP address information, email addresses, and information gathered other public sources.
We do our best to keep our data collection as minimal and as anonymous as possible. However, during your visit to our site, we may ask for personal information such as your name, your email address or other relevant data. This information is used to identify the user, and provide them with support, services, billing, and to meet contractual criteria. Some of that personal information may be stored on our servers, currently located in the United States, and some may be passed on to third-party processing services facilitate billing, or provide other services. If you choose to purchase a product or service from us, we or our third-party payment processors will collect your payment information. We make every effort to ensure your data is encrypted in transit using SSL, and we encrypt sensitive information stored in our databases using standard best practices.
We do not currently send marketing or promotional email communications. Before we include you on any future marketing or promotional communications, we will make sure to get your express permission. We may send you service-related emails related to your account. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may opt out of them by cancelling your account.
This website currently uses the following third-party services which may collect personal information:
- Google Analytics, which we use to better understand our visitors, and improve our services. For this information, Google is the Data Processor. For information about Google Analytics data privacy and security, you can find their policies here. For ways to opt out of Google Analytics, please see this page.
- Google Adsense, which we may use to present in-page advertising. For this information, Google is the Data Processor. For more information about what information Google Adsense may collect about you as a user, please visit their page. For information about opting out of personalized advertising, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info
What you can control
Upon your request, we will be happy to provide you a copy of, or delete, any personal information about you we have stored in our systems. To make such a request, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to obtain or delete your information from a third-party service we use, we encourage you to contact the data controller for the information in which you are interested, as listed above.
When we share information with each other, we increase the utility function of the networks we utilize. However, that sharing requires a level of trust and responsibility in order to function properly. You can depend on me to hold up my end of that bargain.
Of course, if you have any questions about this, or anything else on my website, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.