Ianmonroe.com by Ian Monroe is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
A Word About Copyright
As a writer, journalist, graphic artist, web designer, and musician, I’ve thought a great deal about the ideas behind intellectual property law for many years now.
In the course of my studies, I’ve come to the conclusion that there is simply no substitute for a vibrant public domain upon which we, collectively and individually, can base new works, new ideas, and from which we can draw for raw materials to drive new creations.
Furthermore, it is my contention that the fundamental artistic movement of the late 20th- and early 21st-centuries is collage. In visual arts, in music, even in video, collage represents the trajectory of contemporary creation, and, as such, deserves to be legal and recognized as legitimate, regardless of medium.
Consequently, unless otherwise noted, I’m offering all the material publicly posted on my website under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license.
That means –
- to Share — to copy, distribute and transmit the work
- to Remix — to adapt the work
- Attribution — You must attribute the work by indicating that I am the original author (but not in any way that suggests that I endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from me.
- Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Your fair dealing or fair use rights;
- Apart from the remix rights granted under this license, the author’s moral rights;
- Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. The best way to do this is with a link to this web page on the Creative Commons website.
If you wish to use material you find on my website for commercial purposes, I will be happy to discuss licensing it to you. For commercial licensing inquiries, please get in touch with me using the Contact page.
If you are a copyright holder and you believe that I have infringed upon your copyright and you wish to have the material removed, you must:
- Email me at ian at ianmonroe.com
- Include the full URL of the material which you believe is posted in violation of your copyright.
- Include a complete description of the material which you believe is infringing.
- Include accurate contact information so that I may verify that you are indeed the copyright holder (or authorized representative) and that you initiated the request.
Please note that while I am happy to accommodate legal requests from the original copyright holder, I WILL verify the accuracy of the information you provide. Please note that under Section 512(f) any person who knowingly materially misrepresents that material or activity is infringing may be subject to liability for damages.
Some functionality on this site relies on collecting or accessing information about you as a user. This might include ip address information, email addresses, and information from social networking sources such as Facebook.
However, under no circumstances will this information ever be used by me or any agent of mine for any commercial purposes. Furthermore, I personally pledge that no information collected on this site will ever be sold to any third party for any reason whatsoever. The only circumstance in which I might share private information with a third party is under subpoena, or if contacted by law enforcement personnel in the course of an investigation. So, please, for both our sakes, don’t use my website for stuff that might get you (or me) involved in anything like that.
When we share information with each other, we increase the utility function of the networks we utilize. However, that sharing requires a level of trust and responsibility in order to function properly. You can depend on me to hold up my end of that bargain.
Of course, if you have any questions about this, or anything else on my website, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me.