Well, it’s that time of year again.
I had a choice to make — continue hosting this site with GoDaddy for another year and live with the ridiculous restrictions on the shared hosting there.
Move the site over to a VPS running on Slicehost’s cloud.
Sure, the VPS is more expensive, but I get a whole lot of win for a little extra money.
- Root access, and thus complete control of the server environment
- Automagic backups
- Wildcard DNS
- Unblocked SMTP port for mail
- A testbed for new tech, like Ruby, Python, etc.
- Multiple virtual hosts within Apache
- The ability to run the Varnish HTTP accelerator (better performance!)
- The fun and education of taking care of my own server
It’s just a no-brainer. Anyhow, I’ve got everything moved over, so if you find any bugs on the site, please don’t hesitate to let me know.